Sunday, June 10, 2007

Naturally...

I decided to treat myself to Paul McCartney's latest CD so I stopped in at Starbucks. I had heard that earlier in the week there had been a so called launch party where Starbucks played the album all day on the day it was released. A nice looking young guy with dark hair and a long ponytail graciously got me an iced coffee and rang up my CD purchase.
"So" I asked him "Did you play this thing all day here on Tuesday?" and he said "yes"
"Did it drive you nuts, did it make you go insane?"
"OH my God!" he said "I was going out of my mind. I kept thinking..play something else, play anything else, even a Beatle song. PLEASE!"
I told him that yeah, it would make me crazy to listen to the same thing all day long, even if I liked it, and then I told him that when I heard about the promotion I immediately felt bad for all Starbucks employees everywhere. We laughed and I was on my way.

It reminded me of my favorite story about the Abbott and Costello routine "Who's on First?"
My brother had gone to the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown with a friend. The friend needed to use the restroom, so my brother parked himself on a bench. There was a TV endlessly playing the "who's on first?' routine. Nearby stood a security guard.
My brother turned to the security guard.
"Gee, it must drive you crazy to listen to this all day long" he said.
The security guard I'm told looked straight ahead and uttered a single word.

"Naturally!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Annie

I can fully appreciate this post as I used to work in a branch of ASDA supermarket (subsiduary of Wal Mart)and they used to play a looping selection of "christmas favourites" at that particular time of the year. It would get to the point that you'd hope Bing Crosby never woke up from his dream of a white christmas.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Pete
X

4:51 PM  
Blogger Lever said...

Hehe, Abbott & Costello... I should really have seen more of them but was only ever into A&C meet Wolfman or Frankenstein or whatever... big b&w horror fan I was as a kid :)

But yeah, the same song all day long... when I was just 16 I got a summer job before college, working in a restaurant by the seaside... Back in the summer of '87 The Pet Shop Boys had a hit called "It's a Sin"... I liked it at first but, being on the jukebox in the restaurant & being a popular hit I heard it all day everyday for 6 weeks throughout the summer of '87... and every time I hear that song I recall scooping peas out of a dishwasher and serving ice cream to pretty girls...

So how did you like Paul McC's new LP?

Say hi to NYC for me and hope you're doing well :)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Annie Van Bergen said...

Actually the album is pretty good. Some very good songs. He seems to go back to some of his earlier solo style. Some of it sounds like Wings a bit (even to the point that it sounds like Linda is singing). Some of the songs sound like he is channeling George Harrison. Interesting.
The last song snippet that ends the LP sounds a little Bowie-ish to me
A song or two that drag on, but overall a pleasant surprise.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home