Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm "it"

I have been tagged. I believe, in part as a gentle nudge to jump start me back to participating in the blogging arena. Life, loss and other things, seem to have affected my ability to write, and sometimes even think at times. And as this does happen to be my birthday month and a milestone year, it seems a timely nudge.

Anyhow, blogger Knowleypowley of New Gold Dream has tagged me to enter my birthday at Wikipedia and share the following:


Three Events
1657 - Freedom of religion is granted to the Jews of New Amsterdam (later New York City).
(because freedom of religion as well as from religion is so important, my name is of Dutch descent, NYC is my hometown, and it took place 300 years before my birth, an even number)

1912 - Opening day for baseball stadiums Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Michigan, and Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts. (because baseball is like jazz, and the constitution, a positive landmark of American history and culture. One of these, is to be torn down this year, one is still in use. It is sad sometimes that as young as this country is, there is a lack of respect for historical landmarks.)

1986 - Pianist Vladimir Horowitz performed in his native Russia for the first time in 61 years. The concert was viewed by millions on television. (because I remember this very well, was very very moved by it, and because I play the piano as well)


Two Birthdays
1893 - Harold Lloyd, American actor (d. 1971) - one of the greats, and at this point the image of hanging high above the street from the hands of a clock is a metaphor I can relate to.

1908 - Lionel Hampton, American musician (d. 2002) - powerful musician, whom I admire, and because I happen to like sending people "good vibes" which I also believe are powerful.

( 1940 - George Takei, American actor -stealing a 3rd, but hey, it's Sulu!)


One Death
1992 - Benny Hill, British comedian (b. 1924) - need I really say more?


One Holiday
Many cannabis users smoke marijuana on April 20th, in keeping with the expression four-twenty. Ahhh, now this is one that I would like to observe this year.


I think I will now pass the tag onto Danny Pitt Stoller of Everything Shines and Lever of Forever Blue Skies

7 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Excellent choices Annie, especially Sulu sneaking in there.

Hope life is getting better for you.

Pete
XX

5:59 PM  
Blogger Lever said...

Now Harold Lloyd... that's a choice and a half... back in the 70s/80s they'd show Harold Lloyd shows on BBC2 every night... strange how times change. And Benny Hill... sigh.

And yes, New Amsterdam... I have a friend who is a Van Bergen Henegouwen!

I must dig out my pipe for the 20th...

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad my choices were so appreciated

Pete - couldn't leave out Sulu, and thanks for the kick in the butt. Hope to see us both posting more. Glad to get your nod matey.

Lever - Van Bergen Henegouwen - so cool. I was lucky, the problem was more in narrowing things down. I would be honored if you get out the peace pipe for 4/20

12:15 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

How you doing honey?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Annie Van Bergen said...

Pete
Thanks for asking..doing my best and hanging in..
I think if I tried to describe everything that is going on, no one would believe it.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Apparently I share the same birthday as the racehorse, Man O'War.
(What does that say about our horoscopes?)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Annie Van Bergen said...

I don't know Lee, but I'm willing to bet it's something good...

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home